Salford, Greater Manchester
Occasional travel required.
Leading independent energy specialist Ylem Energy is recruiting for an experienced Procurement Manager to join its expanding team to be based at its Salford headquarters. With over a quarter of a century’s experience in specialist independent generation systems, Ylem Energy have developed an enviable array of systems and services that benefit its clients’ energy requirements and help reduce the emission of harmful greenhouse gases.
As a pioneer of Landfill Gas to Energy (LFG) projects Ylem have a strong track record in the development of power generation projects both in the UK and overseas and is now diversifying its operations into flexible reserve generation, energy storage, behind the meter generation and other technologies. This expansion aims to establish Ylem Energy as a leader in these emergent markets in the coming years.
Ylem Energy develops a diverse range of energy projects, including Landfill Gas Generation, Flare Systems, Embedded Gas Generation, BESS Energy Storage, Combined Heat & Power systems, Client-side Behind-the-Meter power generation, Solar/PV arrays and more, in the UK and overseas. A successful candidate will need to be flexible, adaptive, and innovative In their approach, but also have a solid foundation of procurement and project management experience and be able to apply standardisation and governance to the procurement process regardless of the project type.
Role and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Project Director, as Procurement Manager you will form part of an expanding team responsible for the development and delivery of these new projects. Primary responsibilities will include:
- Leading on the development of a mature procurement and contracting process.
- Supporting in the preparation of detailed project cost plans, in collaboration with the Project Manager and Project Engineer.
- Supporting in the preparation of client proposals and tenders for Behind-the-Meter projects, this will involve visits to potential customers alongside a Project Engineer or Project Manager.
- Leading procurement activities, establishing approved suppliers and ensuring proper governance and a robust ITT process.
- Supporting contractual negotiation, including negotiating MF/1, JCT, NEC3 terms & conditions, ensuring key commercial protections.
- Leading supplier management, including auditing, supplier visits, feedback and managing the approved supplier database.
- Undertaking contractual administration, including supporting in the preparation of contractual paperwork, ensuring proper contract management, and participating in any dispute resolution.
The ideal candidate will have a strong track record in the procurement of subcontracted services and in the procurement of high value plant items, a background in multi-contract project delivery is essential and in particular experience procuring M&E and civil works packages. Knowledge of the UK Energy industry would be advantageous but is not essential provided there is a willingness to learn. Given Ylem Energy’s diverse portfolio and high volume of projects of varied scale, the successful individual will need experience managing the procurement of multiple works packages and equipment supplier agreements at once and to have the administrative skills to coordinate that process while ensuring proper governance. The successful candidate will need to be able to demonstrate initiative and the ability not only to follow processes for procurement, but also a track record of establishing and developing a mature procurement process which will facilitate the growth of the Ylem Energy business.
- Proven strategic procurement and sourcing experience.
- Negotiation and administration of construction and procurement contracts (MF/1, JCT, NEC3, FIDIC etc.)
- Management of contractual disputes, enforcing contractual rights.
- Strong administrative skills, the ability to manage multiple workstreams in parallel.
- Development of budgets and cost plans, a good eye for detail.
- Communication and personal skills.
Ability to work using your own initiative and to prioritise effectively.
How to Apply